SEXUAL OFFENCES & SEXUAL ASSAULT CHARGES
You should speak with a sexual assault lawyer immediately if you are facing an accusation. Sexual assault charges are very serious, and before you plead guilty, you should speak with a Toronto sexual assault lawyer.
The punishment for conviction of sexual assault charges is likely to include imprisonment, extensive probation, DNA orders, lifetime weapons prohibitions, and a 20-year SOIRA (National Sex Offender Registry) order.
A sex assault allegation may be historical. This type of charge does not have a statute of limitations in Canada. Defendants, however, are entitled to a jury trial if a sexual assault charge is brought after six months from the date of the alleged offence.
In many cases, the accused claims that the complainant consented to the sexual activity. Would this be a good defence? You should be aware that there are some scenarios that are not considered to support a consent defence.
Below are a few examples:
- Having only been advised of consent by a third party (not too common);
- A complainant was incapable of consent (e.g., intoxicated, mentally ill, or too young to consent);
- Consent received by an accused solely because he held a position of trust, power or authority over the victim;
- By her conduct or words, the victim indicates she does not consent (including cases where the consent was initially proper, but was subsequently withdrawn by the victim).
- In the case of mistaken belief in consent, the defence is valid. This belief should not be the result of drugs or alcohol. To find out if there was consent, the accused must have taken reasonable steps.
- In order for this defence to be successful, the accused would have to testify (despite the fact that the Crown bears the burden of proof in these cases).
SC CRIMINAL DEFENCE’S SEXUAL ASSAULT LAWYERS ARE WELL KNOWN FOR REPRESENTING CLIENTS IN SEXUAL ASSAULT CASES
As a sexual assault lawyer in Toronto, we work hard to ensure his clients get the guidance and rectification settlement they deserve. We are regarded as one of the best sexual assault lawyers in the city with years of experience and a proven track record of courtroom success.
There are many reasons to choose us as your attorney. First of all, we manage each client with compassion and determination to help them. We offer free legal consultations on this page if you have questions. Our specialized knowledge, dedication, and experience help us consistently deliver the best results.
Are you facing sexual assault charges? We are here to help!
We understand how important it is for our clients to receive justice and we are here to make sure that happens. Contact us today and let us help you get through this challenging time. Our team is dedicated to providing the best possible legal representation for each individual case, no matter how complex or daunting it may seem. With decades of experience in criminal law and sexual assault cases, SC Criminal Defence’s sexual assault lawyers can ensure that your rights are protected every step of the way.
Contact us now to set up a free initial consultation with one of our experienced sexual assault lawyers. We can provide you with the advice and support you need during this difficult time. Let us fight for your rights, freedom, and future!
With a team of the top criminal defence lawyers, we can also assist you with:
- Sexual assault charges
- Bail hearing
- Drug charges
- Domestic assault charges
- Robbery/Theft /Mischief
- Youth Charges
Connect with an experienced sexual assault lawyer at SC Criminal Defence
We have a team of experienced sexual assault lawyers in Toronto who are committed to obtaining the best outcome for our clients. Our team understands how serious and sensitive these cases can be, so our approach is always one of compassion and understanding.
If you or someone you know is facing sexual assault charges, contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced and knowledgeable lawyer. Let us fight for your rights! Call SC Criminal Defence now!